Are São Paulo duplex buyers negotiating more after 80 days on market?

AbleBridge

Seller
Established
The São Paulo duplex market looks split rather than uniformly fast or slow. I’m following homes asking roughly R$4,077,000–R$6,115,000, and around 80 days on market seems common.

I’m trying to decide whether that is now a meaningful point for a below-ask offer or merely normal exposure at this price. Properties with a clear answer on rental regulation appear to move differently. Has anyone tracked recent completed sales against their public asking histories, including price cuts or temporary withdrawals?
 
Eighty days alone would not tell me how hard to negotiate. A listing that started too high, disappeared and returned can look fresher than it is; another may have held its price because the seller has no urgency. I’d compare the original asking price, cut timing and any withdrawn periods before choosing an offer.
 
How tightly are you defining the area and the duplex itself? Crossing a neighbourhood boundary—or comparing renovated units with ones needing substantial work—could explain more than days on market. Also, is “clear answer on rental regulation” about restrictions within the building? That could materially change the buyer pool, but it needs to be confirmed for each property.
 
Yes, I mean whether the building’s position on rentals is clear, not a general claim about São Paulo. My comparison is probably too broad at the moment. I’ll separate the listings by neighbourhood boundary, condition and whether the 80 days are continuous or interrupted. I’m mainly interested in sellers who have already made one cut but still have not completed a sale.
 
I’d be careful assuming one price cut signals willingness to accept another. Sometimes the cut simply corrects an unrealistic launch price. New-listing volume matters too: if comparable duplexes keep arriving, buyers gain alternatives; if apparent stock is mostly stale or withdrawn, the negotiating picture may be less favourable than the portal count suggests.
 
Financing can also distort the completed examples. A lower final price may reflect a buyer with simpler terms rather than a general market discount, while a financed offer may require more time or certainty from both sides. When you build the comparison, note asking history, condition, continuous market time, seller motivation if known, and the broad shape of the buyer’s terms. Otherwise the percentage difference is easy to misread.
 
The financing point is useful because a clean offer can explain part of a discount, although it is tempting to read every lower completion price as evidence of a weaker market.

I would keep verified sales with traceable asking histories separate from listings that merely disappeared. If a completed duplex closely matches the property’s condition, neighbourhood boundary and buyer terms, use it and explain any adjustment for market time. If the match is poor or completion cannot be confirmed, treat it only as background rather than proof that 80 days warrants a particular discount.

The next step is to compare that evidence with current new-listing volume, then make an offer whose terms are as clear as its price. The response should indicate whether the seller sees the listing age as a reason to negotiate or is content to wait.
 
Back
Top