Are Utrecht sellers more flexible after roughly 112 days?

EasyBrick

Property investor
Established
The surprising part was finding apartments between €894,200 and €1,341,000 still showing about 112 days on market. That changed my assumption that Utrecht stock at this level was moving quickly, although the figure may be combining very different neighbourhoods and circumstances.

I’m trying to separate stale pricing from genuine seller motivation. For example, an occupied apartment with uncertain possession is not comparable to a vacant one in similar condition. Are buyers securing meaningful reductions on these older listings, or are sellers mostly holding firm? Completed deals, approximate neighbourhood boundaries and any known changes from the asking level would help.
 
At 112 days, I would negotiate, but I wouldn’t assume the seller is automatically ready for a large reduction. That period can reflect an ambitious initial price, poor condition, uncertainty over vacant possession, or simply a thin buyer pool at this level. Compare the current ask with genuinely similar completed sales, not just other lingering listings.
 
Which neighbourhood boundaries are you using, and are these comparable in size and condition? Combining central apartments with properties farther out could produce a misleading 112-day figure. I’d also separate vacant homes from occupied ones before drawing conclusions about buyer leverage.
 
I’m less convinced that days on market alone shows stronger negotiation. Withdrawn and relisted stock can make the public history incomplete, while a price cut may restart interest without revealing the seller’s actual minimum. New-listing volume matters too: buyers gain more leverage if suitable alternatives keep appearing, not merely because one apartment has sat.
 
A practical approach would be to build a small table for each serious candidate: original ask, later cuts, listing and withdrawal dates, condition, vacancy position, neighbourhood, and the closest completed sales you can verify. Then ask why the seller is moving and whether timing matters to them. A clean offer with credible financing may compete differently from a higher but uncertain one.
 
Also test the negotiation against your own financing limit rather than treating a discount as the goal. In this price range, a reduced offer is not a bargain if renovation costs or financing conditions make the total uncomfortable. I’d ask the selling agent directly about earlier interest and preferred timing, while treating any answer as one input rather than proof of seller motivation.
 
Back
Top