As-is studio offer with inspection contingency: can we still walk over lease length?

holdTheMeadow

Homeowner
The seller treats “as is” as an agreement not to reopen anything. I read the inspection contingency as preserving a decision point, even if the seller can refuse repairs or a credit.

The immediate issue is whether a serious lease-length problem found during review would let us cancel the studio purchase before the response deadline without losing the deposit. I do not want to argue about labels while that date passes. Which contract wording should we verify first: the scope of the contingency, the notice procedure, or any separate document-review right? The lease may also affect financing, so I am checking whether the lender requires proof of a minimum remaining term.
 
As-is usually addresses whether the seller must fix anything; an inspection contingency may still provide a decision point, depending on its exact wording. Asking for a credit is renegotiation, so the seller can refuse, but that is different from whether you may cancel within the contingency deadline.

I would stop debating the “spirit” and have someone familiar with the local contract identify, in writing, the cancellation deadline, notice method and deposit consequences. Also clarify whether lease length was disclosed before the offer and whether it affects financing or appraisal—that may matter more than a physical inspection.
 
Back
Top