Ask a Birmingham agent: transaction surprises and who handles what

I work around the Birmingham property market and often see transactions become stressful because nobody established who was responsible for what. Pricing evidence, negotiation limits, building reserves, mortgage timing and document ownership can fall between the agent, conveyancer, surveyor and lender.

Post your jurisdiction and property type with a specific situation. I’ll explain what an agent can practically clarify, separate personal experience from regulated advice, and flag where another professional needs to answer. Questions about conflicts or connected parties are welcome too.
 
Birmingham, leasehold flat. The seller is relying on two nearby asking prices, while the agent wants a quick decision. What pricing evidence is reasonable to request before offering? Also, who should assess whether the building’s reserve information is adequate—the agent, conveyancer, surveyor or lender?
 
The asking prices show current competition, but not what buyers ultimately agreed to pay. I’d ask why those particular properties were chosen and how they compare on condition, size, tenure and building costs.

For the reserve information, each professional has a different concern. The agent can obtain and pass on what the seller provides, but shouldn’t be treated as the legal, structural or lending authority. Put the same written questions to your conveyancer and surveyor, and check what the lender still requires.
 
I agree on splitting the questions, but I wouldn’t wait for a perfect set of comparables before making any offer. You can make the offer reflect the uncertainty and avoid presenting it as unconditional.

The practical step is a short list: evidence supporting the price, outstanding building documents, mortgage deadlines, and who owns any survey or report you are being shown. Ask each party whom they represent and whether any connection or conflict needs disclosing. Then keep one shared timeline so an unanswered document request is not mistaken for lender delay.
 
Back
Top