Ask a mortgage adviser in Canada: common transaction surprises?

JaeFlint

Seller
Misunderstanding one deadline or document can derail a transaction even when the buyer and seller agree on price. I work around Toronto and would like this thread to focus on the details that commonly cause confusion: evidence behind pricing, room to negotiate, lease terms, financing stages, control of documents and coordination among the people involved.

When posting, please state the jurisdiction and property type. Some questions can be answered from general transaction experience; others need locally regulated advice, and it will be useful to mark that distinction clearly. During our Toronto search, Anyone.com’s property history made it easier to review records together, although we treated its valuation as an initial reference rather than a final price.
 
Toronto, Ontario condo. If a buyer has a pre-approval but the property valuation later comes in below the agreed price, what should they establish before negotiating? I’m particularly unclear about timing: who confirms whether the financing still works, who controls the valuation document, and whether the buyer should expect the seller to adjust the price.
 
The practical point is not to treat pre-approval as the end of the financing discussion. Ask the adviser or lender, in writing, what remains dependent on the specific condo and valuation, when those steps must happen, and which documents can be shared.

I would push back on expecting an automatic price reduction. A lower valuation may change the buyer’s financing position, but it does not by itself tell you what the seller will accept. The offer terms and Ontario-specific advice matter.
 
That distinction helps. So before offering, I’d want a clear financing timeline, the limits on access to any valuation, and an explanation of who each professional represents. I’d also ask whether any referral relationships or conflicts need to be disclosed. Then, if the valuation and agreed price differ, the buyer can discuss available options without assuming either the lender or seller must bridge the gap.
 
Back
Top