Ask a mortgage adviser in South Korea: common transaction surprises

lookTheRiver

Homeowner
Established
I want this Q&A to stay useful in practice, but many Seoul property questions depend on details that cannot safely be generalised. I work around the local market and can discuss how pricing evidence, financing schedules, document handoffs and negotiations tend to affect a transaction.

Please state the jurisdiction, property type and stage of the deal when posting. Questions about rental rules, negotiation boundaries or coordination between advisers are welcome, as are concerns about who is acting for whom and whether a conflict has been disclosed. I will distinguish observations from issues that need advice from an appropriately regulated local professional, and others can add how their local process differs.
 
For a Seoul purchase, how should a buyer test the asking price while also arranging finance? I’m wondering whether negotiation should wait until the likely loan amount and timing are clearer, or whether that risks losing leverage with the seller.
 
Those two tracks probably need to run together, but “likely loan amount” is doing a lot of work there. Is the buyer relying on an informal estimate or something more definite? A seller may care as much about certainty and timing as the headline offer, so I would avoid negotiating on assumptions that have not been confirmed.
 
I’d also ask what evidence is being used to test the price. Nearby advertised properties show seller expectations, not necessarily an achievable transaction price. If the properties differ in condition, occupancy or timing, a simple comparison can mislead. What information can the adviser discuss, and what should come from the property agent or valuer?
 
I disagree slightly that finance must become fairly definite before meaningful negotiation. A buyer can still ask whether the seller has flexibility without making a firm commitment. The danger is presenting an attractive price and completion timetable that the financing process cannot support. The wording and conditions of the offer matter.
 
Document ownership is another area worth covering. During a Seoul transaction, who should retain the final versions of financing papers, property-related records and correspondence showing agreed changes? People often focus on signing, but later confusion can arise when each participant assumes someone else holds the complete file.
 
That connects to the pricing point. If a negotiated change is agreed verbally or passed between several people, the buyer needs to know who is responsible for recording it and ensuring the finance side sees it. I would want one written timeline listing the current price, conditions, required documents and the person handling each step—not just separate message threads.
 
Yes, although one shared timeline does not resolve conflicts of interest. Before relying on a recommendation, I’d ask who introduced each professional, whether anyone receives a benefit from that introduction, and whose interests each person represents. The answer may affect which documents or pricing opinions the buyer independently verifies.
 
A useful next step would be a short pre-offer meeting with the adviser and property representative, keeping their roles distinct. The buyer could bring the proposed price, basis for that price, expected financing timetable, negotiation conditions, document list and any professional introductions. Anything involving regulated lending, tax or legal interpretation should then be directed to the appropriately authorised person in South Korea rather than left as an informal assumption.
 
Back
Top