Ask an appraiser in Sweden: common transaction surprises

CelineLinden

First-time buyer
Established
I work around the Stockholm property market and am opening a practical Q&A on transaction details that are often misunderstood. A recurring problem is treating a valuation, an agreed price and a lender’s timetable as though they are the same thing. They are not necessarily aligned.

Questions can cover pricing evidence, negotiation limits, vacancy, financing timing, document ownership or coordination between professionals. Please include the jurisdiction and property type. I’ll distinguish personal experience from regulated advice, and local professionals are welcome to explain where their processes differ.
 
For a Stockholm property, suppose the lender commissions a valuation while the buyer is under pressure to complete negotiations. Who normally controls that document, and should the buyer expect to receive or share it? I’d also want to know whether any previous involvement with the property or parties should be disclosed before relying on the figure.
 
I would not assume that paying for or receiving a valuation makes someone free to circulate it. The commissioning party, intended users and purpose all matter, so the sensible step is to ask the lender and appraiser directly who may rely on it and whether release is permitted.

I also disagree with using that figure as an automatic negotiation target. Its date, purpose and underlying property information may differ from what the parties are negotiating.
 
One missing fact is whether the transaction timetable depends on financing approval. That can matter more than the valuation number itself, and the consequences of any financing condition are jurisdiction-specific.

Before changing an offer, I’d put three questions in writing: when will the lender decide, who can receive the valuation, and has any relevant conflict or prior involvement been disclosed? Then keep the pricing discussion separate from the financing deadline.
 
Back
Top