Athens condo at €432,400: building a complete legal and tax cost list

LongChalk

First-time buyer
Established
I’m considering an Athens condo priced around €432,400 and trying to build a realistic closing and ownership-cost checklist before making a decision. I have transfer tax, notary/legal costs and registration fees on the list, but I’m less clear about ownership restrictions, recurring property charges and what happens later on a sale or inheritance. What commonly falls outside the first estimate, and which questions should I put to a licensed local adviser?
 
Ask for two separate written estimates: one for the transaction itself and another for ongoing ownership. Otherwise annual charges can disappear inside a vague “costs” discussion. I’d also request confirmation of what each professional fee includes, which value is used to calculate each charge, and whether registration-related expenses are fully itemised rather than shown as one allowance.
 
A few missing facts could change the questions considerably. Is this a new or resale condo, will you own it personally or jointly, and do you expect to become resident in Greece? Also, is it for your own use or will it produce income? The adviser needs that context before discussing annual tax, capital gains or ownership restrictions.
 
Agreed on giving the adviser context, although I wouldn’t wait for every residency decision before requesting figures. Ask for scenarios instead: non-resident versus resident, sole versus joint ownership, and keeping versus selling after a few years. That exposes assumptions in the estimate and makes it easier to see which costs are fixed and which depend on future choices.
 
I’d be cautious about concentrating only on closing day. For a condo, obtain a clear account of building charges, any unpaid amounts attached to the unit, and how planned communal work would be funded. Those are not necessarily taxes or legal fees, but they can materially affect the first year’s cash requirement. Have your local professionals explain who verifies them and at what point.
 
Add an exit and succession section to the checklist now, even if neither is imminent. Questions for the Greek advisers could include: how a later sale would be treated for capital-gains purposes under your circumstances, whether residency changes that analysis, and whether the proposed ownership arrangement fits your inheritance plans. Then ask for one consolidated schedule showing purchase costs, annual obligations and scenario-dependent items, with every estimate labelled as fixed or provisional.
 
Back
Top