Atlanta 1-bed villa: does 7.1% gross survive the real costs?

SlowYard

Landlord
Established
I’ve been tracking an Atlanta 1-bed villa for 80 days and am deciding whether the price still makes sense. Purchase is $1,315,000, with expected rent of $7,799/month, giving a headline gross yield around 7.1%. The building appears sound, although energy performance may affect costs. Once I include vacancy, management, routine maintenance and a larger-repair reserve, the spreadsheet becomes much less convincing. Which Atlanta expense am I most likely underestimating, and what net yield would justify the risk for you?
 
Property tax and insurance would be the first two figures I’d refuse to estimate loosely. Get numbers tied to this property and the proposed use, rather than relying on the seller’s current expenses. Also establish who pays utilities, because the energy issue matters far more if they remain with the owner. I wouldn’t choose a target net yield until those three items are firm.
 
Is $7,799 supported by an existing lease, or is it projected rent? That distinction could overwhelm the smaller cost assumptions. I’d also want to know whether there are association fees or owner-provided services hidden behind the word “villa.”
 
One more concern: a 1-bed at that purchase price may have a narrower tenant pool than the gross yield suggests. I would model turnover as both lost rent and a separate make-ready cost, not just fold everything into a general vacancy percentage.
 
I partly disagree that a higher maintenance reserve alone makes this conservative. The dangerous combination is turnover, a major repair and financing costs rising at the same time. Run three cases: expected rent, a lower achieved rent, and one extended vacancy with a repair. Then compare the resulting cash yield with your financing cost and with a no-debt purchase. If the deal only works at $7,799 every month and with today’s expense estimates, 7.1% gross is not much protection.
 
Back
Top