Atlanta 5-bed apartment at $430,000: how would you adjust the comparables?

If I overvalue the size advantage, I could end up paying full money for an apartment whose ongoing costs and condition justify a lower figure. This Atlanta 5-bed is about 1,880 sq ft and is listed at $430,000. The daylight and immediate area work for me, although the interior needs updating.

The evidence is thin: three active listings and only one completed sale. I am inclined to start with the achieved price, but not until I know whether it matches the building, street, floor and outlook. I also doubt every extra square foot should carry the same rate as in a smaller unit.

Would you treat the updating as a separate cost estimate rather than apply a general condition discount? I still need the service or HOA charge, what it includes and whether anything unusual is expected. That recurring expense seems harder to undo than choosing cheaper finishes.
 
I would not apply the same price-per-square-foot figure to every extra foot; larger units often need a marginal adjustment rather than the building average. For condition, run sensitivity cases—perhaps 5%, 10% and 15%—until you have renovation estimates. My biggest missing fact is the recurring service or HOA charge, including what it actually covers and whether any major assessment is being discussed.
 
Micro-location may matter more than your condition band. Is the completed sale in the same building or at least genuinely comparable for street, floor, light and outlook? Parking and private outdoor space can also make two similarly sized Atlanta units poor matches. I’d give that completed transaction the most weight, but only after accounting for those differences; the three asking prices show seller expectations, not achieved value.
 
I’m less comfortable with percentage condition deductions. A dated but usable interior is different from a unit needing systems work, and a flat 10% could overstate either case. Get a room-by-room scope and price that work instead.

I’d also clarify what “5-bed” means within 1,880 sq ft: bedroom sizes, layout and whether buyers would realistically value all five as bedrooms. That could affect marketability more than raw floor area.
 
Before refining the yield, rebuild it from the actual expected rent and every owner-paid item rather than adjusting the broker’s headline number. Also confirm parking rights, outdoor space, service charges, lease or occupancy terms, and the ownership structure. Then put the completed sale and each asking comparable into a simple table with those differences. Any valuation range produced before that is likely to look more precise than the evidence supports.
 
Back
Top