Atlanta duplex at $350,000 and $2,456/month — does it work after costs?

SamFord

Landlord
Established
There is a short window to pursue this Atlanta duplex, yet the attractive headline number is not enough to make me rush. The price is $350,000 and the stated combined rent for the 4-bed property is $2,456 per month, producing an 8.4% gross yield. That margin may look very different after the actual holding costs are confirmed.

I have included vacancy, management and routine maintenance in the model. The two figures I cannot establish confidently are the property-tax bill following the purchase and an insurance quote for this specific building. For example, either could absorb the cash flow I was expecting to keep for repairs.

Which would you verify first? I also need to confirm whether the $2,456 is current contracted rent for both units or merely the seller’s projection before deciding what net monthly cash flow would justify the management involved.
 
Insurance and property tax deserve the closest look because either can turn a reasonable gross yield into thin cash flow. Don’t rely only on the seller’s current figures: obtain an insurance quote for this specific duplex and verify how the tax bill could look after purchase. I’d also model one tenant turnover during a bad year rather than treating vacancy as a smooth monthly percentage.
 
Is $2,456 the combined rent for both units, and are the current leases already producing that amount? There is a big difference between contracted rent and an estimate that assumes both units renew at the desired price. Also, are you financing it? At this gross yield, the interest rate and down payment may matter more than small changes to the maintenance allowance.
 
I wouldn’t choose a target net yield until the condition and lease details are clearer. A larger repair reserve helps, but it does not capture several repairs arriving together or turnover coinciding with a vacancy. Build three versions: current leases, one vacant unit plus turnover costs, and both units at a lower achievable rent. Then insert written insurance and management estimates, the likely tax figure, and your actual financing terms. If the deal only works in the first version, 8.4% gross is not enough comfort.
 
Back
Top