Atlanta listings: the headline and the street-level picture (need advice)

lina_repairs

Seller
Established
The sample is small enough that one unusual listing could distort the result. It covers mostly Atlanta retail units asking between $968,000 and $1,452,000, with a typical advertised period of 66 days. Vacancy seems linked to some of the slower stock, but I cannot tell whether it is the cause or simply accompanies poor condition or a weaker street.

Would you start by matching recent completed sales to their original asking prices, or first separate price cuts, withdrawals and relistings? I am also wondering how tightly the neighbourhood boundaries need to be drawn before the comparison is useful.
 
Vacancy could explain part of it, but I wouldn’t separate it from property condition and buyer financing. An empty unit needing work may have a narrower buyer pool than a vacant unit ready for occupation. Also, does “66 days” mean continuous time under one listing, or could withdrawn and relisted stock be appearing newer than it really is?
 
The 66-day figure is hard to interpret until relistings and property condition are separated. I agree that vacancy matters, but the immediate commercial setting may matter more: a vacant unit ready for occupation is not equivalent to an empty shop needing substantial work on a weaker block.

I would keep the comparison narrow by street or small commercial area, then pair completed prices with original asking figures and the dates of any reductions. That gives vacancy a fair test without assuming it explains every stale listing.
 
New-listing volume and seller motivation belong in the comparison too. A practical way forward is to split the sample into occupied, vacant-ready, and vacant-needing-work; flag withdrawn or relisted units; then compare cuts and completed sales within the same small area. If the 66-day figure remains concentrated in one group after that, the vacancy theory becomes much stronger.
 
Back
Top