Auckland townhouse renovation: setting contingency before work starts

IsaWilde

Property investor
I’ve now put a preliminary figure of NZ$204,300 against the renovation, which raises a harder question about how much of it should remain uncommitted. The property is a 160 m² Auckland townhouse, and I would cut design features before risking an unfinished job.

The work covers the kitchen and bathrooms, new surfaces and decoration, checks to the existing wiring, and moderate energy improvements. There is no planned extension, although I realise that does not rule out hidden structural work.

Before fixing a contingency, which areas should be opened up or inspected? Moisture, plumbing routes and possible electrical remediation worry me most. I also want contractors to state their exclusions and identify any materials, approvals or sequencing issues that could delay the programme.
 
I wouldn’t settle the contingency until the bathrooms, kitchen service routes and moisture-prone areas have been investigated. “Electrical checks” is also not the same as an allowance for remedial work, so ask what happens if the existing system needs changes.

Have contractors list exclusions explicitly: opening walls, making good, waste removal, temporary protection and work triggered by hidden conditions. Then map ordering and permit questions against the sequence. One caveat: no extension does not automatically mean no structural work—confirm whether any walls or openings are being altered.
 
Back
Top