Austin 1-bed at $725,000 and $4,619 rent: does the net yield work?

countTheGate

Market analyst
Market Reporter
I’ve now separated tenant turnover from ordinary upkeep, which makes the building-level costs the bigger question for me. This is a 1-bed coastal home in Austin at $725,000, with projected rent of $4,619 a month and a gross yield of about 7.6%.

I can stress-test vacancy and management fairly easily, but weak building reserves or an unexpectedly high insurance bill would be harder to absorb after purchase. Before taking the rent projection seriously, which Austin cost would you verify first? I’d also be interested in the minimum net return others would accept once vacancy, insurance and turnover are included.
 
Property tax and insurance are the first figures I’d pin down rather than estimate broadly. Then separate your own maintenance reserve from any building or association obligation. A sound-looking building can still have weak reserves or planned work. The 7.6% gross yield is attractive on paper, but it says very little until those three costs are known.
 
Is the $4,619 based on a long-term lease or shorter stays? That changes vacancy, management, utilities and turnover considerably. I’d also want to know whether monthly building dues are already in your model and whether the rent figure comes from an existing tenant, comparable leases, or a listing projection.
 
I wouldn’t choose a required net yield before confirming the rental model Noor asked about. Personally, I’d want roughly 5% unlevered after recurring operating expenses and realistic reserves, not after debt service. But a stable long-term tenancy and a high-turnover furnished rental do not deserve the same hurdle rate, even if their projected monthly rent is identical.
 
The annual gross rent is $55,428, leaving a decent-looking spread before expenses. Still, taxes, insurance and building costs can consume that spread quickly. I’d ask for the actual current tax bill, an insurance quote for this property, dues, and available information on reserves or planned work. I’d also rerun the model with lower rent and an extra vacancy period rather than relying only on the headline case.
 
Financing sensitivity is missing from the discussion. Net operating yield can look acceptable while cash flow after debt service is thin. Run several down-payment and borrowing-cost scenarios, including one where refinancing does not improve the numbers. Add a tenant turnover case with lost rent, cleaning or repairs, and leasing costs occurring together.
 
One more distinction: “building reserves” and your personal repair reserve solve different problems. If the building’s reserve position is unclear, seek whatever association financial information, meeting records and planned-work details are available before setting your offer. I’d also validate that $4,619 rent independently. If either the rent or building position cannot be supported, the gross yield is not enough reason to proceed.
 
Back
Top