Austin 3-bed villa at $915,000: does $5,584 rent work?

SmallChart

Landlord
Established
I’m sanity-checking a 3-bed villa in Austin at $915,000 with expected rent of $5,584/month. That produces the advertised gross yield of roughly 7.3%, but using only eleven months of rent reduces effective gross income to $61,424 before any expenses.

The building appears sound. My model includes vacancy, management, routine maintenance and a larger-repair reserve, but I’m concerned that property tax could change the result materially. What local cost am I most likely underestimating, and what unlevered net yield would make this risk worthwhile? I’m deciding whether to investigate further or pass.
 
The 7.3% headline is mathematically right, but your eleven-month assumption already brings it down to about 6.7% before tax, insurance or management. I would focus first on parcel-specific property tax and a current insurance quote rather than percentages from generic calculators. Personally, I’d want something around 4.5%–5% net before financing, with the assumptions clearly supported.
 
Is $5,584 based on a signed lease, comparable rentals, or an asking rent? That missing fact may matter as much as the expense estimate. Also, does the villa have an HOA, and who pays landscaping and utilities? One vacant month covers lost rent, but not necessarily cleaning, leasing costs and repairs between tenants.
 
I’m not convinced a fixed net-yield target answers this by itself. It depends on the alternatives available to you and whether there is any realistic path for rent growth.

For the repair reserve, work from the age and condition of the roof, HVAC, appliances and exterior rather than one general percentage. A property can look sound while several expensive components are approaching replacement together.
 
Financing could reverse the conclusion, so I’d keep two calculations: property-level net operating income and cash flow after debt. What down payment, interest rate and amortization are you considering? Test a higher financing cost and a few months of vacancy rather than relying only on the expected case. An acceptable unlevered yield can still leave weak monthly cash flow.
 
Property tax is the obvious concern, but insurance may be the less visible one because both the premium and deductible matter. I’d also clarify what “villa” means for this property: detached, attached, or part of a managed community. That determines whether exterior maintenance or HOA charges sit with you. Aya’s point about turnover costs is important; vacancy and make-ready expenses are separate lines.
 
Before deciding, I’d request four concrete inputs: the parcel’s current tax information and a locally informed projection, an insurance quote, the full HOA cost and responsibilities if applicable, and evidence supporting $5,584 rent. Then rerun three cases: twelve months occupied, your eleven-month base case, and a tougher turnover year with both extra vacancy and make-ready work.
 
This is helpful. I was treating the 7.3% figure as an initial filter, not as the return I would actually receive, but the gap becomes clearer when the eleven-month income is stated in dollars. I’ll keep financing separate for now and won’t proceed without confirming the tax, insurance, HOA position and support for the rent. I’m leaning toward requiring at least a 4.75% unlevered net yield in the base case.
 
At a 4.75% target, the property needs about $43,463 of annual net operating income. Against your eleven-month rent of $61,424, that leaves roughly $17,961 for property tax, insurance, management, routine maintenance, HOA costs and other operating items. That is your practical decision line: collect actual estimates, total them, and see whether there is still room for uncertainty. If not, the price or the deal has to change.
 
Back
Top