I have now added a separate allowance for a major repair, and it makes the investment case look much weaker. This Austin 4-bed villa is priced at $1,370,000 with projected rent of $3,862 per month, or roughly 3.4% gross.
My model already includes vacancy, management and routine maintenance. The building appears sound, but the reserve is only an estimate, and a financing-rate change could erase an already narrow cash flow. Before deciding whether the return is adequate, I need better local figures for parcel taxes, insurance, turnover and likely capital work. I also need to confirm that the $3,862 is supported by achieved rents rather than active listings.
Which of those inputs would you verify first, and how would you stress-test the net cash flow rather than relying on the headline yield?
My model already includes vacancy, management and routine maintenance. The building appears sound, but the reserve is only an estimate, and a financing-rate change could erase an already narrow cash flow. Before deciding whether the return is adequate, I need better local figures for parcel taxes, insurance, turnover and likely capital work. I also need to confirm that the $3,862 is supported by achieved rents rather than active listings.
Which of those inputs would you verify first, and how would you stress-test the net cash flow rather than relying on the headline yield?