Austin apartment with thin reserves and a possible $102,000 assessment

I’m considering a 700 sq ft apartment in Austin that has been listed for 41 days. The association’s reserves look thin, and major exterior work is being discussed, although no special assessment has been approved. Owners have mentioned figures as high as $102,000.

I’m reading meeting minutes, insurance information, reserve figures and the maintenance plan. What else would distinguish routine planning from a liability serious enough to walk away? I’m interested in the downside, including resale liquidity and management headaches, rather than general reassurance about Austin.
 
First clarify whether $102,000 means the whole project, one unit’s possible share, or simply an owner’s unsupported estimate. Then request any reserve study, engineering or inspection reports, contractor proposals, recent budgets, owner delinquency figures and correspondence about the exterior work. Read several years of minutes, not only the latest set. The master insurance deductible and exclusions also matter because thin reserves can make an uncovered event more painful.
 
I’d be more cautious than that: documents cannot meaningfully price work that has no agreed scope or bids. A clean-looking budget may only confirm that the association cannot absorb it. Ask in writing what work is contemplated, how costs would be allocated, and whether postponement could increase damage. Then compare your potential unit share with the discount you are receiving. After 41 days, I would make any offer reflect that uncertainty rather than assume tenant demand or future resale will erase it.
 
Back
Top