Austin listings: the headline and the street-level picture after 120 days

SimpleWall

Real estate agent
Established
I’m deciding whether to buy now or wait for weaker sellers in Austin. My range is $340,000 to $510,000, and the typical listing in my sample has been visible for about 120 days. Inventory looks higher, but much of it is property I would reject on condition or location. My notes also say “mostly coastal homes,” which may be a listing-label issue since Austin is not coastal. I suspect property tax is helping separate quick sales from stale stock. What should I compare at street level: recent completed sales, reductions, or withdrawn listings?
 
Start with completed sales from the same small area and similar condition. Active listings only show what sellers hope to get. Property tax can change the monthly affordability calculation, but 120-day stock could just as easily reflect an ambitious original price, deferred work, or a location buyers dislike.
 
Before choosing between buying now and waiting, clear up the “coastal homes” label. It may be a bad import or category rather than a meaningful description of Austin stock.

Then narrow the comparison to the same small area and condition bracket. I’d check one completed sale, one withdrawn property and one 120-day listing street by street; that should show whether you are seeing weak demand, unrealistic pricing or homes buyers simply do not want.
 
The 120 days need unpacking too. Is that continuous visibility, or are you counting properties that were withdrawn and later returned? A stale listing with no meaningful reduction tells a different story from one that has already had several cuts.
 
I’m not convinced tax explains the whole gap. Buyers should account for the property-specific tax burden, certainly, but quick sales may simply be the few homes that are priced correctly and need little work. Seller motivation matters as well: some owners can wait rather than accept today’s bids.
 
I’d make three groups: sold, still active, and withdrawn. For each, record original ask, latest ask, visible days, condition, and the date of the first meaningful price cut. That should reveal whether 120 days is typical for genuinely comparable homes or is being driven by repeatedly stale stock.
 
The $340,000–$510,000 range may be too broad for one conclusion. Split it into narrower bands and then separate properties by neighbourhood and condition. Buyer financing pressure may be much more obvious near one end of the range than the other, while renovated homes can behave differently from projects.
 
Condition is the part listings often blur. Two houses can look comparable by size and asking price, yet one is ready to occupy and the other requires immediate spending. I’d inspect the stale examples for recurring compromises before attributing their time on market mainly to taxes.
 
Also compare total monthly cost rather than purchase price alone. Financing terms, the property’s tax figure, insurance and any recurring fees can make the cheaper listing less affordable. Exact treatment varies by property and jurisdiction, so estimates should be verified rather than copied from a listing headline.
 
That answers my concern about the wording: until “coastal” is clarified, I wouldn’t trust the sample composition. After cleaning that up, compare only recent sales within the same neighbourhood boundaries and condition tier. Then look at withdrawn homes and reduction timing separately. If the apparently attractive listings still fail that comparison, waiting for a lower asking price may not solve the underlying location or condition problem.
 
Back
Top