Austin market check: -5.0% movement and 49 days on market [serviced apartment]

SimpleWall

Real estate agent
Established
My saved Austin listings are moving in noticeably different ways. The concern is that I may be blaming rental rules for a spread caused by neighbourhood, condition or financing.

The serviced apartments run from $868,000 to $1,302,000, with about -5.0% movement and 49 days on market. Regulation is an appealing explanation, but two otherwise similar units could behave differently because one needs work or depends on a narrower financed-buyer pool. I’m going to compare original listing dates, first reductions, withdrawals and recent completed sales before drawing a conclusion. Examples would be most useful if they identify the Austin neighbourhood and confirm the same property type.
 
I would not attribute the spread to rental regulation yet. Austin is too broad, and 49 days can hide very different seller situations. Which neighbourhood boundaries are you using, and does “serviced apartment” mean the same thing in every listing? Compare completed sales with similar condition first; asking-price reductions alone do not show the negotiated discount.
 
The withdrawn listings matter too. If overpriced or poor-condition units disappear rather than sell, the remaining completed sales can make demand look stronger than it is.

I’d also separate units likely to depend on buyer financing from those aimed at other buyers. That could affect both time on market and seller flexibility. Do your saved listings show when the first price cut occurred?
 
I partly disagree with making condition the first filter. Seller motivation may overwhelm condition in a compact sample: a well-kept unit with no urgency can sit, while an inferior one moves after a meaningful cut.

For each listing, record the precise neighbourhood, condition, original and current price, first-cut date, final result or withdrawal, and any financing differences you can verify. Then compare only genuinely similar serviced apartments. That should show whether the 5.0% movement clusters around regulation, condition or seller urgency rather than assuming one citywide cause.
 
Back
Top