Austin new-build at $1.435m: does the rent justify the risk?

zane_homes

Real estate agent
Established
Founding Member
I have checked the basic numbers and the apparent condition, but the operating costs remain unclear. This is a three-bedroom new-build flat in Austin priced at $1,435,000, with projected rent of $10,140 a month. On that basis the gross yield is about 8.5%.

I have allowed separately for empty periods, management, ordinary upkeep and a major-maintenance reserve. My concern is that an optimistic property-tax or insurance figure could damage cash flow every year, while a turnover or repair miss may be less frequent but arrive in a lump. Which expense would you stress-test first in Austin? If the rent is supported by the market, what unlevered net yield would make the purchase compelling rather than merely acceptable?
 
Property tax would be my first concern, followed by insurance. With a new build, make sure the tax estimate reflects the completed property rather than an earlier land or construction-stage assessment. I’d also separate the larger-repair reserve from building or association charges; one does not necessarily cover the other.
 
Is $10,140 supported by signed leases or just the developer’s expected rent? At that price point, one extra vacant month matters more than shaving a little from routine maintenance. I’d want comparable rents, typical marketing time and any limits or fees attached to leasing the flat.
 
I wouldn’t assume property tax is automatically the deal-breaker. The bigger weakness may be combining a premium rent assumption with a standard vacancy allowance. A 3-bed asking over $10,000 has a narrower tenant pool, so turnover could be uneven even if Austin’s broader rental market is active.

Also run the financing separately. A respectable unlevered yield can still produce poor cash flow if borrowing costs or refinancing terms move against you.
 
Build three versions: $10,140 with normal turnover, lower rent with longer vacancy, and the same rent with higher tax, insurance and association costs. Include leasing costs each time a tenant changes.

Personally, I’d want at least a mid-5% unlevered net yield after all recurring expenses and realistic reserves, not merely after management and maintenance. If the deal only reaches that number under the most optimistic rent case, the 8.5% headline is doing too much of the selling.
 
Back
Top