Austin rental: $555,000 purchase and $2,015 monthly rent — sanity check

hugo.archer

Property investor
Established
The 11-month calculation changed my view. A $555,000 Austin serviced apartment renting for $2,015 a month looks close to a 4.4% gross yield across a full year, but nearer 4.0% once I allow one vacant month.

It is a 4-bed unit, and my model already deducts management and routine upkeep. I have included some money for a major repair, though one expensive building or unit issue could make that allowance look thin. Financing also turns a modest change in payment into a weak or negative cash-flow result.

Before deciding, I want property-specific figures for tax, insurance, association or serviced-building charges, utilities, turnover and furnishing replacement. Which of those commonly changes the Austin calculation most? I would also like to compare the resulting unlevered net yield with the return people would require, while keeping possible changes affecting the serviced-apartment model in view.
 
Property tax and insurance would be my first concerns. With only $24,180 of scheduled annual rent, there isn’t much room between the headline yield and a weak net result. I’d get current estimates tied to this particular property rather than apply broad percentages. If financing is involved, also run the cash flow with a higher payment before deciding whether the return compensates you.
 
Is the $2,015 for the whole 4-bed unit, and are there association or serviced-building charges on top? Also, who pays utilities, furnishing replacement and cleaning between tenants? Those details could matter more than whether the general repair reserve is slightly high or low.
 
I’d treat the regulation issue differently from an ordinary expense. If the expected rent depends on a particular serviced or short-stay use, model what the unit earns under a conventional lease as well. A regulatory change may alter the whole operating model, not just shave a percentage from yield.

Also make sure the vacant month isn’t counted twice if the management projection already includes a vacancy allowance.
 
One month without rent is not necessarily a sufficient turnover budget. Vacancy, leasing or cleaning costs, minor damage and furnishing replacement are separate items and may arrive together.

I’d want at least a 5% unlevered net yield for this sort of operational and regulatory uncertainty. That is a personal hurdle, not an Austin market rule, and the current gross yield means this deal cannot reach it without a lower price or higher sustainable rent.
 
Nadia’s distinction is important. I’d rebuild it as a simple annual statement: 11 months of collected rent, then property tax, insurance, building or association charges, management, utilities paid by the owner, routine maintenance, turnover and the larger repair reserve. Keep financing below that so you can see both the property-level return and the leveraged cash flow. Obtain property-specific quotes and read the building’s rental rules before relying on the serviced use.
 
The arithmetic alone makes this look very tight: $2,015 × 11 months is $22,165, or about 4.0% of the purchase price before any operating expense. Property tax, insurance and management then have to come out of that.

Unless the rent figure is unusually conservative, important costs are already included elsewhere, or the price is negotiable, I’d be inclined to pass. A sound building does not rescue cash flow that starts with too little income.
 
Back
Top