Austin studio: opening 4% under after 79 days?

noor_taxes

Homeowner
I can open 4% below the $745,000 asking price and risk the seller dismissing it, or offer nearer the list price without solid evidence that the studio supports that value. Neither feels comfortable. It has been on the Austin market for 79 days, requires updating, and the available nearby listings do not tell me what buyers have actually paid.

My financing can be documented, and I can offer some flexibility on closing. How would you explain the price without overloading the offer, and would you use a firm response deadline? I want to preserve inspection and financing protection, along with a way to address an appraisal gap, rather than trade those safeguards for a friendlier-looking number.
 
To clarify, by “clean financing” I don’t mean cash or waiving contingencies. I mean providing the available financing proof, avoiding unnecessary demands and offering flexibility on timing. I’m also unsure whether a firm response deadline helps demonstrate seriousness or just creates friction.
 
Four percent under is $715,200, which doesn’t strike me as inherently antagonistic after 79 days. Keep the explanation brief: condition, limited completed-comparable evidence and the certainty you can offer. Include financing proof and a clear but reasonable response deadline. I would retain inspection, financing and appraisal protections rather than trying to make the price palatable by taking on uncapped risk.
 
Before deciding that, how much deposit would be exposed, and could you cover any appraisal gap without changing the financing? Those details matter more than whether 4% sounds polite. Also, are the nearby listings genuinely comparable in condition, or simply close in location and asking price? Seventy-nine days shows market exposure, but it doesn’t reveal the seller’s motivation.
 
I’d be careful about writing a long justification. The seller may dispute every point, particularly the cost of “updating.” Completed sales are more useful than competing asking prices, but if the evidence is thin, the offer itself is your test of the market.

I also wouldn’t request a repair credit before inspection. Offer based on the visible condition, preserve the inspection contingency, then discuss a credit only if the inspection reveals something material.
 
A tidy structure would be: $715,200 price, financing evidence attached, a flexible closing range, a stated response deadline, and clearly written inspection, financing and appraisal terms. Separately, ask the listing side whether timing or another term matters to the seller. That can improve the offer without raising the price.

If you consider an appraisal gap, cap it at an amount you can genuinely absorb. “I’ll cover the gap” without a limit can turn a modest discount into much greater exposure.
 
One caveat to the repair-credit point: price the obvious updating into the initial offer, but reserve later requests for findings that were not already apparent. Otherwise the seller may feel you negotiated the condition twice.

Most importantly, have the deposit and contingency deadlines explained under the actual local contract wording. Don’t assume a financing contingency automatically resolves every low-appraisal scenario. If the seller counters, compare the extra price with any demand to weaken those protections rather than looking at price alone.
 
Back
Top