Austin villas around 31 days on market: offer now or wait?

FirstKey

Homeowner
Established
A few Austin villas in my search have now reached roughly 31 days on market, which raises a new question about whether sellers are becoming more flexible. I am looking between $500,000 and $750,000, but condition and unresolved building-reserve questions seem more important than the raw number of days.

Would you make a supported offer below list price now, or wait to see whether the seller reduces it first? I can find current listings easily. What would be more useful is evidence from recently closed properties showing the sale price alongside earlier listing prices, particularly where condition or reserve concerns affected negotiations.
 
I wouldn’t treat 31 days by itself as the signal. Look at whether the property has already been reduced, how its condition compares with nearby alternatives, and whether similar listings are accumulating or disappearing. If it is fairly priced and clean, waiting could lose it. If obvious work or reserve uncertainty is deterring buyers, a supported lower offer makes more sense.
 
Which neighbourhood boundaries are you using, and are these attached villas with an association or detached properties marketed as villas? Mixing even nearby areas or different ownership structures could make that 31-day figure misleading. Buyer financing matters too: are you planning a financed offer, and would reserve questions affect that financing?
 
Completed prices will help, but they lag what sellers are facing today. I’d also track new-listing volume, withdrawn properties and relistings. A home shown as relatively fresh may have had an earlier unsuccessful run, while a genuine new listing may still have a seller expecting full price. Public asking history doesn’t always capture that distinction.
 
I’d add condition to the comparison rather than applying one discount across the range. Two villas at the same asking price can have very different economics if one needs substantial work or has unanswered building issues. Final sale price also won’t tell you by itself whether repairs or other concessions influenced the agreement.
 
I slightly disagree with waiting for the seller to announce a cut. A reduction alerts every buyer watching the listing, whereas a reasoned offer before that can test motivation without creating the same competition. The important part is having close completed comparisons from the same small area and property setup, not just Austin-wide days on market.
 
Ask for a side-by-side list of recent closed, pending, withdrawn and active properties within your exact boundaries. Record original ask, each cut, days exposed including any relisting, condition, reserve clarity and financing concerns. Then choose an offer based on the closest matches. If the seller rejects it without a counter, you’ve learned something; if they engage, the 31 days may be starting to matter.
 
Back
Top