Avoiding costly turnover while reviewing the rent on a reliable tenant’s property

miro_ash

Property manager
Established
I’ve checked the local figures again, which has made the decision harder rather than easier. The tenant is paying £843, while genuinely similar properties seem to be around £1,012.

They have been dependable and flag maintenance issues before they become expensive. Closing the full gap could put that relationship at risk, and even one empty month plus reletting costs would absorb much of the extra income. On the other hand, leaving the rent untouched could make a later review much more difficult.

Would you introduce a modest regular increase, keep £843 for now, or link a review to improvements the tenant actually wants? I’m mainly weighing retention against the cost and time of a possible turnover.
 
I’d favour a modest increase rather than trying to close the whole £169 gap. A reliable tenant has financial value: one vacant period, extra work or avoidable damage can outweigh several months of higher rent. Predictability also gives the tenant a fair chance to budget.
 
One missing fact is how long the rent has been £843. A freeze after a recent increase is different from several years without any review. I’d also ask whether £1,012 reflects genuinely comparable properties in similar condition, rather than optimistic asking prices. Is there any maintenance or improvement the tenant has already requested?
 
I wouldn’t let turnover anxiety become a reason to freeze rent indefinitely. The gap is already substantial, and a token rise may simply postpone a harder conversation. That doesn’t mean demanding £1,012 immediately, but I would explain that the rent needs to move gradually toward the local level. Any proposal still has to follow the local jurisdiction’s notice rules and the tenancy terms.
 
Before deciding, write down the real cost of each option: likely vacancy time, reletting work, deposit handling, outstanding maintenance and the tenant’s payment record. Then compare that with the extra annual income from a realistic increase, not just the headline market figure.

If retaining them remains preferable, give clear notice of a measured increase and state when the next review will be. Keep improvements separate unless both sides genuinely want an agreement; otherwise a repair obligation can become muddled with rent negotiations.
 
Back
Top