Bayut for a London serviced-apartment search: primary portal or discovery tool?

readTheEcho

Mortgage adviser
Established
Verified Pro
I’m searching from Chicago for a serviced apartment around London and have been using Bayut to build a shortlist. The coverage was useful, but duplicate listings, stale availability and inconsistent floor-area figures made comparison harder than expected.

The energy label was the most useful field for me. What I could not judge was how recently each listing had been confirmed or what the next transaction step would be. Should I keep using it as my main comparison tool, or treat it only as a place to discover listings? I’d particularly welcome first-hand observations about the mobile filters and what happens after contacting an advertiser.
 
Given those problems, I’d treat it as a discovery tool until each advertiser confirms the exact unit, current status and floor area in writing. A large-looking search result is less valuable if several entries lead to the same apartment.

For remote searching, I’d also save screenshots or notes when making contact. That gives you something concrete to compare if the description or status later changes.
 
What kind of duplication are you seeing: identical photos under different advertisers, repeated entries from the same advertiser, or several apartments in one building using the same generic images? Those are different problems.

I’d also ask whether each floor-area figure uses the same basis. Without that, sorting by size can create a misleading shortlist even when every number is technically copied correctly.
 
A useful test would be to contact a small sample rather than every result. Ask each one the same four things: exact unit, current availability, floor-area basis and the next step for a buyer. The speed and completeness of those answers may tell you more than the listing page.

Also compare the map pin with the written location before arranging anything. For a London search, even a modest pin discrepancy could alter how you assess the area.
 
I agree with the small-sample approach, but I wouldn’t assume weak replies prove the whole portal is unsuitable. They may reflect the individual advertiser. Separate portal issues—filters, duplicate handling and alert quality—from advertiser issues such as unanswered questions or outdated status.
 
The energy label would not outweigh stale availability for me. It helps compare properties, but only after establishing that the apartment is real, current and correctly identified.

For saved-search alerts, watch whether they surface genuinely new units or merely refreshed duplicates. On mobile, I’d test whether your essential filters remain applied after switching to the map and back; otherwise the shortlist can quietly become broader than intended.
 
Because you are searching remotely, I’d keep a simple comparison table outside the portal: listing link, advertiser, building or location, asking price, stated area, area basis, energy label, date contacted and confirmed status. That should expose duplicates even when the wording or lead photo changes.

Price history and links to sold records would be useful context if available, but they still would not confirm that a serviced apartment is currently being offered on the stated terms.
 
One further caution: do not let an accurate-looking map pin substitute for unit-level confirmation. Two listings can appear to match while referring to different apartments in the same development, or one entry may be too vague to compare confidently. I’d make “exact unit confirmed” a requirement before promoting anything from the discovery list to the serious shortlist.
 
Back
Top