Before I commit: is €15,640 enough cash for a Dublin new build?

writeTheView

Buyer
Established
After the deposit and estimated closing costs, I’d have roughly €15,640 left if I buy the 3-bed new-build flat I’m considering at around €1,178,000.

I’m trying to divide that between emergency savings, moving, inspection findings or other immediate work, and basic furniture. I also need to allow for service charges, an insurance excess and the first mortgage payment. Would you treat €15,640 as workable, or buy below the maximum so ordinary first-year costs don’t become emergencies?
 
€15,640 may be workable, but not if it is treated as one flexible furnishing budget. Set an emergency floor based on the monthly mortgage and normal living expenses, then account for the move, first payment and any bills with known dates.

I would not assign the rest to a broad repairs category yet, particularly with a new build. Once the inspection and specification show what is missing, use the available balance for immediate items and a few essentials such as a bed and table. Everything else can be bought later. That gives some flexibility without pretending the whole sum is spare cash.
 
What is included in your estimated closing costs, and what does the flat come with? Flooring, appliances, window coverings and light fittings can make a big difference to the first-month spend. Also, have you been told the service charge amount and when payment would be requested? Until those points are clear, €15,640 is more a headline balance than a usable budget.
 
One more timing question: will the inspection happen early enough for you to know the important findings before committing the remaining cash? I wouldn’t allocate a general “repairs” figure without distinguishing cosmetic snags from anything that must be dealt with straight away.
 
I agree on getting the missing figures, but I wouldn’t hold a large furniture allowance just because the property has three bedrooms. Furnish the rooms you will actually use and leave the others sparse for a while. Cash is much harder to replace after closing than a delayed wardrobe or spare-room desk.
 
The service charge deserves its own line rather than being buried in emergency savings. Ask exactly what will be due, on what date, and whether there are any other building-related payments expected at handover. Do the same for insurance: identify the cover you need and the excess you would personally have to absorb if something happened.
 
A practical way to test the buffer is to build three lists: unavoidable before moving in, unavoidable within three months, and optional. Moving, the first mortgage payment and any confirmed charge belong in the first list. Necessary inspection items go in the second unless urgent. Most furniture belongs in the third. If the first two lists consume your emergency reserve, the purchase price is too close to your ceiling.
 
Confirm the first mortgage payment date and amount with the lender rather than assuming it will match a normal monthly payment on a convenient date. A cash-flow squeeze can happen even when the annual budget looks affordable. I’d also keep some money unassigned, because estimates made before closing rarely capture every small purchase involved in moving.
 
€15,640 could be workable only if the service charge, move, insurance, first payment and essential fittings are already understood and still leave a meaningful emergency fund. If that balance is expected to furnish three bedrooms and absorb unknown inspection findings as well, it sounds thin. Buying slightly below the maximum would give you more control than trying to predict every first-year expense precisely.
 
Back
Top