Before the next update: Lyon softness or a May sample effect?

If I read this snapshot incorrectly, I could mistake a change in the listings sampled for a genuine shift in Lyon studio prices. The May 2026 figures show roughly 50 days on market, asking-price movement of -5.2% and visible financing sensitivity around €243,800, but they do not establish what caused those results.

For the next update, I would like to pin down the sample definition before drawing a broader conclusion. Completed sales, inventory changes, neighbourhood splits, revision dates and source links would help. Local observations are useful too, provided they are clearly identified as observations rather than index evidence.
 
The sample definition is the missing piece. Does -5.2% mean the change from each listing’s original ask to its latest ask, or a change in the median asking price since the previous month? Likewise, is 50 days measured for active listings, removed listings or completed sales? Those interpretations would lead to very different conclusions.
 
If the 5.2% figure tracks reductions on individual listings, I’d read it as seller negotiation pressure rather than a 5.2% fall in studio values. Withdrawn and relisted properties could also distort both that figure and the 50-day measure. Completed prices would help, although they may describe an earlier market than the May listings.
 
One more distinction: is every observation actually a studio, or has broader Lyon property data entered the calculation around €243,800? A price-band breakdown would expose mix changes. It would also be useful to state whether furnished, new-build and other materially different listings are included together or separated.
 
I agree on defining the sample, but I’d prioritise neighbourhood splits before treating the citywide number as meaningful. Pooling unlike parts of Lyon can make a change in listing mix look like a price movement. The caveat is that splitting too finely may leave tiny groups, so each neighbourhood figure should include its observation count and date.
 
A compact update table could resolve most of this: neighbourhood, property type, price band, active or completed status, original ask, latest ask or completed price, first-listed date, and last revision date. Then show the citywide figure only after the underlying groups. Links should sit beside individual evidence rather than being presented as support for the whole snapshot.
 
Until those fields are available, the safest wording is that May’s tracked studio listings showed longer exposure and asking-price reductions within this particular sample—not that Lyon studio prices fell by 5.2%. I’d also explain what “financing sensitivity around €243,800” means operationally, because at present it sounds important but cannot be reproduced or compared in a later monthly update.
 
Back
Top