Bengaluru apartment listed for 120 days: is 8% below asking reasonable?

luca.east

Homeowner
Established
Offering 8% under the ₹101,900,000 asking price feels defensible after 120 days, but moving much closer without evidence of completed sales feels equally uncomfortable. The Bengaluru apartment requires work, although I need proper estimates before attaching a firm value to that.

I can show financing proof and be flexible about completion. How much would those terms matter if the seller’s priority is timing rather than the highest possible price? I’d like the offer to explain the uncertainty around condition and comparable sales without sounding hostile.

There is also a possible rental case, but I do not yet trust the rent and ownership-cost figures enough to calculate a yield. Whatever price I propose, I do not want to give up title and legal checks, an independent inspection, appraisal or financing protection. I’m also concerned about exposing the deposit before those points are resolved.
 
After 120 days, 8% below asking is not automatically insulting. Present it as a complete proposal rather than a criticism: price, financing proof, flexible completion, a reasonable response deadline and limited but meaningful contingencies. Say the adjustment reflects uncertainty around completed comparables and updating costs. I would not waive independent legal/title diligence, inspection protection or a financing condition merely to make the number look stronger.
 
What does “needs updating” mean in cost terms? Until you have estimates, the seller can dismiss that part of the rationale as taste rather than necessity. I’d also ask why it has remained available for 120 days and whether timing matters more to the seller than price. For rental yield, use realistic rent and all ownership costs; nearby listing prices tell you almost nothing about yield.
 
Mila’s distinction matters. If the work is mostly cosmetic, I would not lead with a long defect list. Offer 8% below based on market uncertainty, then let the inspection identify anything substantial. Asking for the full discount plus an undefined future repair credit can make the offer look like the start of repeated renegotiation.
 
I’d be cautious about reading too much into the 120 days. A listing can sit because of inconvenient access, poor presentation, a seller who is in no hurry, or terms that do not suit buyers; it does not by itself prove an 8% gap. Ask the intermediary what the seller values and whether previous discussions failed over price or conditions. Financing proof will help show this is a serious offer rather than fishing.
 
Put the offer in a clean sequence: proposed price, evidence that financing is progressing, your completion flexibility, and a clear expiry time. Then state the conditions separately—satisfactory inspection, legal/title diligence, financing and any valuation requirement from the lender. The deposit wording should explain when it becomes non-refundable and what happens if a stated condition fails. Have the Bengaluru transaction documents reviewed locally rather than assuming generic wording protects you.
 
This is helpful. I only have asking-price comparisons so far, not enough verified completed sales, and I do not yet have itemised updating estimates. I’ll avoid presenting either as more certain than it is. My revised plan is to offer 8% below with financing evidence and flexible completion, without requesting a repair credit at the outset. I’ll retain inspection, legal/title and financing protections, then deal only with material findings rather than cosmetic preferences.
 
For the rental side, work backwards from the rent you can support, not from the seller’s asking price. Include the purchase amount, transaction and updating costs, recurring building charges, maintenance, vacancy and any furnishing needed. If the deal only produces an acceptable yield using an optimistic rent with no downtime or repairs, that is useful evidence for your own walk-away price—but probably not a persuasive argument to the seller.
 
That revised approach is stronger. One more point: clarify the appraisal gap before signing. If the lender’s valuation is below the agreed price, decide whether you will contribute extra cash, cap that contribution or rely on the financing condition. Do not leave it vague while placing a large deposit at risk. Also, a response deadline should create clarity, not artificial pressure; give enough time for the seller to consider the full package.
 
The arithmetic puts an exact 8%-below offer at ₹93,748,000. An oddly precise figure may invite debate over how you derived it, so choose whether you want that precision or a sensible rounded number consistent with your maximum. Submit it once, calmly, with the clean terms described above. If the seller counters, compare the new price with completed-sale evidence, updating estimates and your conservative rental calculation rather than negotiating against yourself simply because they responded.
 
Back
Top