Bengaluru townhouse: is ₹3,173,000 enough cash to retain after closing?

runsAndEmber

Homeowner
Established
If I get this calculation wrong, I could complete the purchase and immediately be short of cash for a repair or mortgage payment. The property is a three-bedroom Bengaluru townhouse priced at about ₹70,560,000, and my remaining cash after the planned purchase expenses would be around ₹3,173,000.

I had assumed that was a reasonable reserve, but an inspection finding, moving bill or early service charge could reduce it quickly. Should I first set aside several months of total household expenses and then use only the balance for urgent work? Furniture can be delayed, but I am less sure how much to reserve for the insurance excess and the timing of the first mortgage payment. At what point would the numbers suggest choosing a cheaper home instead?
 
I’d separate the household emergency fund first and treat it as untouchable. Base that amount on several months of your new total spending, including the mortgage and any service charges, rather than on the property price. From what remains, fund moving and inspection-priority repairs. Furniture comes last; an under-furnished home is inconvenient, but an urgent repair without cash is worse.
 
What will your monthly essential spending be after completion, and are service charges already included in your estimate? ₹3,173,000 can look comfortable in isolation, but the answer changes greatly if the mortgage consumes most of your monthly income. I’d also ask when the first payment is due, since that can affect the first month’s cash flow.
 
That’s the missing calculation for me. I had focused on cash left after closing rather than the number of months it would actually support with the new mortgage. I’ll get the service-charge details and payment timing before setting a minimum reserve. Furniture is already moving down the list; we can live with what we have and add pieces gradually.
 
Be careful not to count the whole ₹3,173,000 twice—once as an emergency fund and again as a repair budget. I’d make four separate pots: untouchable emergencies, known completion and moving expenses, inspection items, and optional purchases. If the first three consume nearly everything, the townhouse is probably too close to your limit even if the lender is comfortable with it.
 
Moving costs often extend beyond the vehicle and boxes. There can be cleaning, small fittings, utility setup and possibly an overlap between the old and new homes. None may be huge alone, but together they can eat into the repair pot. Get a realistic moving figure before deciding what is available for furniture.
 
I wouldn’t automatically conclude that ₹3,173,000 is too little. A newer townhouse with a clean inspection could need far less immediate work than an older property. The key distinction is between issues requiring action before or soon after moving in and items that are merely dated. Ask the inspector to help you understand urgency, then obtain estimates for the important findings rather than assigning a large arbitrary repair amount.
 
Laura’s distinction is useful, but I’d still retain a contingency for things the inspection cannot predict. Also, don’t assume service charges will cover work inside the townhouse. Clarify what they pay for, what remains your responsibility, and whether any upcoming common-area expense has been mentioned.
 
Put the expected expenses on a timeline rather than in one total: due at closing, first 30 days, first six months and deferrable. Add the mortgage debit and insurance excess to the early period. That makes it much easier to see whether your cash balance only looks healthy because several bills have not arrived yet.
 
If days on market are influencing you, don’t let a listing that has sat for a while persuade you to stretch. It may create room to negotiate, but a lower agreed price only helps if you preserve the difference as cash instead of upgrading furniture or accepting more work. Your walk-away number should be based on the post-purchase reserve you need.
 
I’d set that walk-away number before receiving the inspection report. Otherwise it is easy to rationalise every finding because you already want the property. Decide your untouchable emergency floor, add quoted moving costs and essential repairs, then compare the result with ₹3,173,000. If the numbers do not fit, seek a price adjustment or a less expensive townhouse.
 
One final caution: an inspection report may identify a problem without giving you a reliable final cost. For anything significant, get an appropriate estimate before treating the remaining balance as available. I would complete only safety, water-intrusion and damage-prevention work first, keep a reserve for surprises, and furnish room by room after the new monthly budget has settled.
 
Back
Top