Berlin 80 m² villa at €1,159,000: adjusting limited comparables

radar.round

Market analyst
Established
Market Reporter
The price is difficult to test. My main concern is that the evidence behind it is thin.

This is a 3-bed Berlin villa advertised at €1,159,000, with roughly 80 m² and average condition. The light and location look appealing, while the dated finishes and purchase costs count against it. I found three relevant listings, but just one price from a completed transaction. How would you adjust for size and condition without giving the asking figures too much authority? I am also trying to identify whether the exact micro-location, plot, parking or another detail is most likely to move the valuation. I will still seek a local appraisal before making a decision.
 
Seeing that just one comparison reflects an actual transaction changes my view. I would avoid choosing an adjustment percentage until the properties are shown to be genuinely comparable.

The advertised figure works out at about €14,488 per m², but that is a weak guide for a villa when the plot, outdoor space, parking and precise street can account for so much of the value. Cosmetic finishes can be changed; a poor micro-location or lack of parking cannot. First confirm that the 80 m² is measured living area, then ask for the plot details and the condition of the roof, services and other costly elements.
 
The 80 m² is how the listing describes the floor area, but I have not yet seen supporting measurements. Plot/outdoor-space details and parking are also unclear, so those are now my first questions for the agent. I was initially treating the dated finishes as a simple discount, but I can see that separating cosmetic work from larger building costs is more useful.
 
I’d go further: floor-area adjustment may be less important than whether the property is actually comparable in ownership structure and usable space. “Villa” can cover very different assets. Confirm whether there is any lease term, shared obligation or service charge, rather than assuming a conventional standalone house. I would also map the completed sale and subject property closely; even a short distance can weaken the comparison in Berlin.
 
I partly disagree with abandoning adjustments altogether—the completed sale can still anchor a provisional range—but each adjustment should have evidence behind it. Reconcile its sale date, micro-location, measured living area, outdoor space, parking and condition against the subject. For dated finishes, obtain rough renovation estimates instead of applying an arbitrary percentage. Treat the three asking comparables as evidence of seller expectations, not achieved value, and wait for the missing property details before deciding whether €1,159,000 is supportable.
 
Back
Top