Berlin apartment: modest rent increase or keep a reliable tenant at €984?

SelmaDale

Homeowner
I keep changing my mind on a rent review for a Berlin apartment. Comparable asking rent appears to be around €1,187, while the current tenant pays about €984. Payments are reliable and the home is well looked after.

I could propose a modest adjustment, but any extra income has to be weighed against possible turnover, vacancy and refurbishment costs. How would others frame a fair review, stay within the local notice rules and preserve a good relationship?
 
I would compare the proposed increase with the value of retention, not just with €1,187. Asking rent is not necessarily achieved rent, and a dependable tenant removes several uncertainties. Work out what even a short vacancy plus preparation and reletting would cost, then see how long the extra monthly rent would take to recover that amount.
 
One missing detail: how comparable are those listings? Same area, size, condition and contract circumstances? I would also look through the maintenance history before deciding. If larger work is approaching, the difference between an occupied and vacant apartment may affect both timing and cost.
 
I agree about testing the comparison, but I would not let fear of turnover prevent every increase. The gap is €203 a month, so there may be room for something measured rather than choosing between no change and the full asking figure.

The legal side needs separate verification for this particular tenancy. Berlin and German rent rules can affect the permitted amount, basis, wording and notice process. I would confirm those points with an appropriate local adviser before raising a number with the tenant.
 
Build three simple scenarios: keep at €984, make a compliant modest adjustment, or face turnover and try for something nearer €1,187. Against the turnover case, include expected vacancy time, advertising or administration, cleaning, repairs and any refurbishment. Keep the deposit out of the income calculation; if the tenancy ends, its handling and any deductions need proper documentation under the applicable rules.
 
There is also a relationship issue in how this is introduced. A sudden reference to the highest nearby listings may feel arbitrary to someone who has paid reliably. A calm written explanation, followed by an opportunity to discuss it, is more constructive. I would also resolve any outstanding maintenance requests before starting the conversation, otherwise the increase may land badly even if lawful.
 
My caveat is that “good tenant” can become an excuse for indefinitely avoiding a decision. Set a repeatable process instead: verify genuinely comparable rents, total the realistic turnover costs, review maintenance, establish the legally available options, and choose an amount you would be comfortable explaining. If the modest increase produces little benefit after those calculations, retention probably wins; if it remains worthwhile, present it clearly and without implying that €1,187 is guaranteed.
 
Back
Top