Berlin apartments: 6.5% movement after 97 days—what matters most?

sketchTheCrane

First-time buyer
Using active asking prices gives a current picture but no final outcome; relying only on completed sales gives firmer evidence but may lag behind the market. Neither feels sufficient for the Berlin apartments I am following.

The group is listed from €1,049,000 to €1,573,000, with about 6.5% movement and roughly 97 days of marketing. Condition seems to have a strong effect on the eventual reduction, although I am also examining whether the remaining lease term or an existing tenancy better accounts for the differences. Examples by neighbourhood and apartment type would help, especially if withdrawn listings, relistings and completed transactions are kept separate from ordinary asking-price cuts.
 
One clarification I should have included: what should count as time on market when a listing is withdrawn and later returns? Treating it as new stock could make the 97-day figure misleading. I’m also interested in when the first price cut happens, rather than only the eventual reduction.
 
Before putting lease length first, what exactly do you mean by it: the remaining term of a leasehold interest, or the duration and status of an existing tenancy? Those are very different issues. I’d also avoid combining all of Berlin at this price level. Neighbourhood boundaries, apartment condition and whether it is vacant could easily distort a small sample.
 
I’m not convinced lease length is the main driver. Buyer financing and seller motivation can explain why two similar apartments follow different paths: one owner cuts early, while another withdraws instead of accepting a lower offer. That withdrawn stock then disappears from the visible discount data.

Recent completed sales would be more persuasive than listing changes, although matching condition and micro-location remains essential.
 
A practical comparison would separate vacant and occupied apartments, renovated and unrenovated condition, and genuine new listings from relisted stock. Then record the original ask, first reduction date, final visible ask and—where available—the completed price. If the 6.5% movement survives those splits, it becomes much more meaningful; if not, it may just reflect the mix of properties being tracked.
 
Back
Top