Berlin five-bedroom condos: does insurance affect negotiation?

BriskPlan

Real estate agent
Established
I sampled Berlin five-bedroom condos asking roughly €655,000 to €982,600. The snapshot shows price movement of -5.5% and median marketing time near 80 days, although differences in condition make the picture noisy.

What I cannot pin down is insurance. When buyers see an insurance concern, are they using it to negotiate, or simply abandoning that listing? Asking-price data is plentiful, but recent completed sales are much harder to establish.
 
Probably both, depending on whether the issue can be priced. A buyer may negotiate if the cost and cover are reasonably clear, but unresolved uncertainty can be enough to move on—especially when financing is already tight. What insurance concern are you tracking: cost, gaps in cover, or difficulty confirming the building’s position? Those would produce different reactions.
 
I would not read much into the -5.5% until you separate actual completed sales from asking-price reductions. Also track withdrawn listings. A property disappearing after 80 days is not necessarily a sale, and relisting can disguise the true marketing period. Seller motivation and the timing of the first price cut may explain more than insurance.
 
There is another problem: “Berlin” is too broad for a sample this small. Neighbourhood boundaries, condition and exact layout can overwhelm a citywide median, particularly for larger condos. I disagree that 80 days alone tells you much about buyer resistance. Compare new-listing volume and similar properties within tighter areas before attributing movement to one concern.
 
For each listing, I’d record original ask, current ask, first reduction date, days visible, condition, neighbourhood and whether it was withdrawn or apparently sold. Put insurance in a separate column with the precise unresolved point. Then ask agents for the most recent comparable completions without assuming the advertised figure was achieved. Even a few credible completed prices would improve this more than expanding the asking-price sample.
 
That distinction from hanac64 is important. A visible -5.5% could be repricing rather than completed-market movement. I’d also compare otherwise similar listings with and without a clearly identified insurance concern. If the affected ones vanish rather than receive measured cuts, that leans toward buyers walking; if they remain and reduce, negotiation or seller inflexibility becomes more plausible. It still won’t prove causation, but it gives the insurance question a cleaner test.
 
Back
Top