Berlin listings: headline figures versus the street-level picture

FullPost

Real estate agent
Seventy-one days on the market sounds like possible value, but I am concerned that our Berlin results are mainly difficult or overpriced stock. The properties in my notes run from €158,200 to €237,400 and are mostly mixed-use buildings.

Property tax first seemed like a possible explanation for the difference in marketing time. On reflection, a citywide figure may hide more than it reveals across the two neighbourhoods we would actually consider. I am thinking of comparing recent completed sales, building condition, withdrawals and the timing of each price cut at street level. What else would help distinguish a genuine discount from a listing that has lingered for property-specific reasons?
 
I wouldn’t put property tax first based on listing age alone. With mixed-use buildings, condition and whether a buyer can obtain suitable financing could separate the quick movers from the rest.

Are you tracking actual completed prices, or only asking prices? Also, do your neighbourhood boundaries follow named districts or the specific streets you would genuinely consider? That distinction could make the citywide figure look misleading.
 
Completed sales would be ideal, but withdrawn stock matters too. A listing disappearing is not necessarily a sale, so counting every disappearance as demand could distort your picture.

I’d record new listings and price cuts by week within your real search boundaries. Seventy-one days means more if comparable properties are arriving regularly; it means less if the sample is small and each building differs substantially.
 
One caveat to the financing point: seller motivation can be just as important. Two similar properties may follow completely different timelines if one seller cuts early and another keeps testing the original price.

For each stale listing, note condition, first asking price, timing of any reduction, and whether it later returns as a new listing. That should help distinguish an overpriced property from a generally slow street.
 
That helps. I’ve been treating listing disappearance too casually and using neighbourhood labels that are wider than the streets we would actually buy on. I’ll tighten the boundaries, separate completed sales from withdrawals, and add condition, financing suitability, price-cut timing and relistings to the notes.

I’ll also stop treating tax as the default explanation unless the property details support it. The next comparison will be within the €158,200–€237,400 bracket rather than against Berlin as a whole.
 
Back
Top