Berlin mortgage quote: comparing 8.30% fixed for 3 years on €598,000

An 8.30% fixed rate for three years is the condition driving this decision on a Berlin purchase of about €598,000. The initial advertised figure did not survive the lender’s fees and the loan-to-value band used for my application.

I want to compare offers over an identical three-year window, including upfront charges, monthly payments and the principal left when the fix ends. APR may still be useful, but only if every lender uses comparable assumptions. Should early-repayment and portability terms be priced into that comparison, or treated separately? I also need a sensible refinance stress test so that a lower short-term cost does not conceal an unaffordable reset.
 
For offers with the same three-year period, I would compare total cash paid over those three years, including all lender fees, while tracking how much principal remains at the end. APR is useful, but it can obscure differences if the assumptions or repayment structure vary. Ask each lender for the same loan amount, loan-to-value and repayment schedule so you are comparing like with like.
 
I wouldn’t focus only on the first three years. What monthly payment could you still manage if the refinance rate were higher, and how much equity would you have by then? Portability may matter less than it sounds if it comes with conditions, so get those terms and any early-repayment costs explained in writing. The missing detail is your deposit and resulting loan-to-value, since that appears to be changing the quote.
 
Back
Top