Berlin property transactions: what tends to catch people out?

radar.round

Market analyst
Established
Market Reporter
The detail that most changed my view of Berlin transactions was how often the difficulty sits between the professionals rather than in the headline negotiation. A buyer may have pricing material, financing discussions and property documents under way while nobody has clearly confirmed who controls each item or what remains outstanding.

I work around the Berlin market and am happy to take questions on pricing evidence, negotiation, insurance, finance timing, document ownership and coordination. Say where the property is and what type it is, since the useful answer may depend on both. I’ll distinguish practical observations from points that need regulated advice and make any relevant conflict clear.
 
Berlin apartment, buyer side. Before making an offer, how should someone test whether the asking price is supported rather than simply anchored to other advertised prices? I’d also like to know which professional should hold the key documents, and when financing needs to be far enough along that negotiation is realistic rather than premature.
 
I’d separate those issues. Pricing material supplied by a seller or developer may still be useful, but it should not automatically be treated as independent evidence. Ask what properties were compared, whether they are genuinely similar, and what assumptions produced the figure.

For timing, get the lender and transaction participants to state what they still need and who is responsible for each document. The important practical step is identifying gaps and conflicts early, not assuming one professional is coordinating everyone.
 
Back
Top