Berlin property transactions: where do the surprises appear?

lila_escrow

Construction professional
Established
Verified Pro
I work around the Berlin property market and would like to make this a practical Q&A about transaction surprises. The recurring problem is that buyer, seller, lender and other professionals may all say a deal is “progressing” while meaning very different things.

Questions can cover pricing evidence, negotiation limits, local supply, financing timing, document responsibility or conflicts between roles. Please include the jurisdiction and property type, plus the decision you are facing. I can offer a developer-side perspective and personal experience, but I will separate that from legal, tax, lending or other regulated advice. Comparisons from other jurisdictions are welcome.
 
One scope note before questions arrive: it helps to identify who represents whom and who is being paid by whom. A person coordinating documents may not be responsible for checking their legal or financial effect. If a question turns on that distinction, I will suggest which type of adviser needs to answer rather than guessing.
 
Berlin, Germany; resale apartment. How should a buyer test an asking price when the seller says it reflects “current demand” but provides no detail? I can compare live listings, but those only show what other sellers want. Is it reasonable to ask what evidence supports the number, and does that damage the negotiation by signalling too much interest?
 
It is reasonable to ask, but I would not make the entire negotiation depend on getting an answer. Separate the seller’s explanation from your own limit. Look at how closely the comparison properties match on location, size, condition, floor and occupancy rather than treating every nearby listing as equivalent. Then decide the highest figure that still works for you. The seller may simply have a different target or timeline; that does not make either side’s number objective.
 
That distinction helps. So the useful question is not “prove the price,” but “what assumptions would have to be true for this price to make sense?” I could then make an offer based on my assumptions without accusing the seller of being unrealistic.
 
Yes, although I would add a caveat: evidence can narrow the discussion without producing one correct price. Two buyers may value the same apartment differently because of financing, renovation tolerance or timing. I would keep the explanation short. A detailed argument about every comparison can invite a detailed rebuttal while revealing exactly how far you might move.
 
Berlin new-build apartment question: how should a buyer handle a reservation or offer timeline that moves faster than financing? I am less interested in whether the buyer should proceed and more in what should be confirmed before anyone describes the funding as ready. Different participants seem able to mean approval, document submission or simply an encouraging first conversation.
 
There is also a document-responsibility issue in that scenario. If the lender is waiting for material from the seller or developer side, who should maintain the complete list and confirm what remains missing? Passing messages between several people seems like an easy way for each side to think somebody else owns the task.
 
A shared, dated list would help, but I disagree with the idea that one participant necessarily has to own the whole process. Each party may only be able to confirm its own requirements and deliveries. The buyer can still keep a simple tracker: document requested, person expected to provide it, date sent, recipient’s confirmation, and unresolved question. That does not decide whether a document is adequate, but it exposes gaps before the timeline becomes critical.
 
The tracker should also record whose adviser or recommended contact is involved. Coordination can look neutral even when someone was introduced by, or is paid by, one side. That does not automatically create a problem, but it is worth asking directly about relationships and incentives before relying on a recommendation.
 
I would combine both strands before negotiating: establish a price ceiling from your own evidence, ask what matters to the seller besides price, map the financing steps without treating early encouragement as final certainty, and list outstanding documents with named contacts. The remaining question is which statements are merely updates and which are commitments. If that is unclear, get the relevant lender, legal or tax professional to confirm it within their own scope rather than relying on a coordinator’s summary.
 
Back
Top