Berlin purchase at €588,800: costs beyond tax, notary and registration

sailsAndWall

Homeowner
Established
I have added a detached Berlin home at roughly €588,800 to my shortlist, which has exposed a gap in my cost planning. Transfer tax, notarial work and registration are straightforward categories, but I am unsure where ownership restrictions, annual charges, residency questions and later capital-gains or inheritance issues belong.

For a written cost estimate, should I request separate sections for completion, ongoing ownership, a future sale and inheritance? I would also like to know which assumptions about residency and ownership structure could materially change the figures, rather than simply receiving an attractive total for the day of purchase.
 
Ask for the estimate to be divided into four columns: purchase, annual ownership, eventual sale and inheritance. Otherwise future tax questions tend to get mixed into the cash needed at completion. For the first column, request separate figures for transfer tax, every notarial step and each registration entry, all calculated using the €588,800 price and your proposed ownership structure.
 
That four-column approach is helpful. I haven’t yet decided whether the ownership structure should be chosen solely for this purchase or with future inheritance in mind. Would it be sensible to request two written scenarios before signing—one based on the simplest direct ownership arrangement and another reflecting the proposed inheritance plan—rather than trying to amend things later?
 
Yes, but I would push back on treating inheritance planning as just another closing-cost scenario. The lowest-cost structure today may not suit later succession, while an inheritance-oriented structure may bring complexity that is unnecessary for the purchase itself. Ask the notary what each structure changes in the transaction, then have an appropriately licensed tax adviser address residency, capital gains and inheritance separately.
 
Also keep annual property charges out of the completion total, but obtain a list of them before committing. Ask who invoices each charge, when the first bill normally arrives, whether any amount is apportioned at completion, and which figures relate specifically to this detached home rather than estimates for a different property type. If financing is involved, confirm whether lender-related notary or registration work sits outside the first quote.
 
I’d turn this into three requests: an itemised notary and registration estimate, a tax calculation tied to the €588,800 purchase price, and a separate note covering annual charges plus sale and inheritance scenarios. State the intended ownership, residency position and whether financing is expected. Where those details are undecided, ask for assumptions to be written beside each figure so you can see what would make the estimate change.
 
Back
Top