Berlin townhouse: does the 7% gross yield survive the real costs?

radar.round

Market analyst
Established
Market Reporter
The advertised 7.0% looks appealing, but I am not yet convinced it survives the full cost base. This is a 4-bed Berlin townhouse at €846,400, with projected rent of €4,966 per month, and the financing terms could materially alter the return.

I have budgeted for empty periods, management, ordinary upkeep and a separate repair contingency. I am less certain about the local impact of insurance, property tax, non-recoverable expenses and tenant changes. Which of those is most often understated, and what net return would make this level of risk worthwhile to you?
 
First establish whether €4,966 means cold rent, total rent including operating costs, or simply an agent’s projection. Those are very different inputs. I’d also calculate yield on the full acquisition cost rather than €846,400 alone. A deal that looks comfortable at gross level can become thin once purchase costs, financing and non-recoverable expenses are included.
 
Is that rent supported by an existing tenancy, or is the townhouse vacant? Also, is the assumption one household renting all four bedrooms or separate room lets? I wouldn’t assign any net yield target until those points are clear, because achievable rent, management effort and turnover could all move together.
 
I’d worry less about a generic vacancy percentage and more about whether the €4,966 is legally and practically sustainable for this exact property. Berlin demand does not automatically validate every asking-rent assumption. Run the model using a lower rent as well as a few empty months after a tenant change. If the financing only works at the headline rent, there is little margin for error.
 
One caveat to the focus on rent: a townhouse can concentrate maintenance risk. With an apartment, some major building costs are shared; here, one roof, heating or exterior problem may land entirely in your model. The larger-repair reserve should be linked to the building’s actual condition and upcoming work, not entered as a convenient annual percentage.
 
I’d build three cash-flow cases: expected rent and normal costs; lower rent plus turnover; and lower rent plus a major repair. For each, separate costs potentially charged to the tenant from costs that remain with the owner. Then rerun all three at a higher financing cost and with no assumed price appreciation. The resulting annual cash surplus matters more than choosing an abstract net-yield threshold.
 
Management also deserves a closer look. A quoted percentage may not capture every task associated with reletting, inspections or arranging repairs, so clarify exactly what the fee covers. Conversely, don’t double-count work already included in management or maintenance assumptions. I’d want an itemised annual-cost schedule and recent insurance, tax and utility information for the property before trusting the model.
 
The cold-versus-total-rent question is the obvious gap in my numbers. I had treated €4,966 as rent excluding pass-through costs, but I need that confirmed rather than inferred from the listing. I’ll also ask for support for the rent assumption, the occupancy position, an itemised management quote, insurance and tax figures, plus the age and condition of the roof and heating. Then I’ll rerun the downside cases on total acquisition cost.
 
That should make the decision clearer. I’d set a cash-flow rule rather than chase a particular net yield: after financing and realistic owner-paid costs, does the property still produce an acceptable surplus in the lower-rent case, and can you fund the repair case without depending on rent? If either answer is no, the 7.0% headline figure is doing too much of the selling.
 
Back
Top