Birmingham 4-bed apartment at £222,300: does £1,244 rent stack up?

gate.grand

Property investor
I’ve added a vacancy allowance to the calculation, which leaves a new question: are the apartment-specific costs now the larger uncertainty?

The Birmingham 4-bed is priced at £222,300 and the projected rent is £1,244 a month, so the simple gross yield is about 6.7%. My working figures also include management, ordinary repairs and cash set aside for a substantial repair, but the treatment of property tax is unresolved. Before deciding whether the return is worthwhile, I need to check service charges, insurance, turnover costs and whether any communal works are planned. Which of those tends to upset an otherwise cautious estimate?
 
Just to clarify, I’m treating 6.7% as rent divided by purchase price, not as an investable return. I’d compare the net figure before financing first, then stress-test any mortgage separately. I’m particularly unsure whether the bigger unknown is tax, building charges or tenant turnover.
 
For an apartment, I would investigate the service charge and any planned major building works before focusing on tax. Check what the charge includes, whether building insurance is already covered, and whether there are separate ground rent or reserve-fund payments. A sound-looking building can still have expensive communal works ahead.
 
Is the £1,244 based on one household renting the whole apartment, or on letting the four bedrooms separately? That changes management, turnover, wear and possibly local requirements. Also, by “property tax” do you mean purchase tax or council tax during vacancies? They affect the model in very different ways.
 
The service-charge point is fair, although I’m hesitant to treat it as the main threat to the numbers. It should be possible to verify the current charge, what it covers and whether major works are expected before committing.

The £1,244 rent and the turnover assumption may be less dependable. An extra vacancy, frequent tenant changes or repeated reletting fees could remove much of the margin. A sensible compromise is to obtain the lease and charge history while also asking for comparable rents and evidence of how long similar 4-bed apartments take to relet.
 
Annual gross rent is £14,928. Start there and deduct every annual ownership cost in cash terms: service charge, any owner-paid council tax, management, insurance not included by the building, maintenance, vacancy and reletting. Divide what remains by the full acquisition cost, not only £222,300. I wouldn’t choose a target net yield until those figures and the letting arrangement are known.
 
Then run two separate stresses: lower rent or more vacancy on the property side, and a higher borrowing cost on the financing side. A deal that only works with full occupancy and today’s finance assumptions has little room for error.

Practical next steps: obtain the lease and building-charge history, ask about upcoming communal works, confirm who pays council tax in each letting scenario, support the £1,244 rent with comparable apartments, and price the difference between whole-property and room-by-room management. The acceptable net yield should be the one that still leaves positive cash flow under that less favourable case.
 
Back
Top