The detail that changed my view was the 85-day listing period. I had expected service charges to separate the quicker sales from the stale properties, but that explanation looks weak for a Birmingham sample made up mainly of villas.
The asking range is £854,900 to £1,282,000, which may be grouping together streets that attract quite different buyers. For example, a well-presented house inside one sought-after boundary may not be comparable with a larger property nearby that needs work or has a seller holding out for an ambitious price. Financing constraints at this level could add another difference.
I am now inclined to divide the sample into much tighter neighbourhoods and compare completed sales, withdrawals, reductions and new-listing volume within each one. Does anyone know whether the 85-day measure should also be adjusted for relistings or properties left visible after going under offer? The seasonal explanations I have heard from agents conflict with one another.
The asking range is £854,900 to £1,282,000, which may be grouping together streets that attract quite different buyers. For example, a well-presented house inside one sought-after boundary may not be comparable with a larger property nearby that needs work or has a seller holding out for an ambitious price. Financing constraints at this level could add another difference.
I am now inclined to divide the sample into much tighter neighbourhoods and compare completed sales, withdrawals, reductions and new-listing volume within each one. Does anyone know whether the 85-day measure should also be adjusted for relistings or properties left visible after going under offer? The seasonal explanations I have heard from agents conflict with one another.