My main constraint is avoiding costs that another party can schedule but I still have to fund. I am weighing a 1,560 sq ft mixed-use building against a similarly priced Birmingham villa. The mixed-use property appears easier to look after, yet that may only mean less control over shared work; the villa puts repairs in my hands but could produce lumpier bills.
I am not convinced maintenance simplicity should decide it. Tenant demand, separate residential and commercial vacancy, insurance exposure and management time may matter more. My compromise would be to compare each part of the mixed-use property separately, then ask for the ownership plan, reserve position, recent shared costs and planned works before choosing between them.
I am not convinced maintenance simplicity should decide it. Tenant demand, separate residential and commercial vacancy, insurance exposure and management time may matter more. My compromise would be to compare each part of the mixed-use property separately, then ask for the ownership plan, reserve position, recent shared costs and planned works before choosing between them.