Birmingham mixed-use: is condition or service charge driving the spread?

yuki_keel

Property investor
Established
I’m tracking Birmingham mixed-use buildings listed from £539,800 to £809,600. The headline movement is +7.3%, while listings are taking about 37 days. I’m trying to decide whether negotiated discounts mainly reflect condition or whether service charges explain more of the spread than demand does. Does that fit what others are seeing? Please include the Birmingham neighbourhood, property type and whether you’re comparing listings or completed sales.
 
I wouldn’t draw that conclusion from days on market alone. Is the +7.3% based on asking prices or completed sales, and over what period? I’d also want to know whether the 37 days includes properties that were withdrawn and relisted. Those details could change the picture considerably.
 
I’d push back on service charges being the main explanation. With mixed-use property, condition and buyer financing can affect both the discount and how long a deal takes, even where headline demand looks stable. Seller motivation matters too: a price cut after several weeks may signal something different from an accurately priced new listing.
 
A useful next step would be to divide the Birmingham sample by tightly defined neighbourhood boundaries, then separate recent completed sales from active and withdrawn stock. For each property, note condition, service charges, first price-cut date and whether financing appears to have delayed the transaction. That should show whether the 37-day figure reflects genuine absorption or simply listing churn—and whether the +7.3% movement survives at neighbourhood level.
 
Back
Top