I want the 2-bed to produce a worthwhile return without depending on appreciation, but the unknown building charges could erase an already modest margin. The price is $285,000 and expected rent is $1,614 a month, giving a headline gross yield of roughly 6.8%.
The property appears structurally sound from what I know so far. I have allowed for vacancy, management, ordinary repairs and a separate maintenance buffer, then plan to test borrowing costs rather than use leverage to improve the property-level result. Insurance, property tax, turnover and any owner-paid utilities are still uncertain.
Which of those tends to cause the larger surprise for a coastal Boston property? I’m going to request the service-charge history and a breakdown of what it covers, but I’d also like views on the net return needed to compensate for these risks.
The property appears structurally sound from what I know so far. I have allowed for vacancy, management, ordinary repairs and a separate maintenance buffer, then plan to test borrowing costs rather than use leverage to improve the property-level result. Insurance, property tax, turnover and any owner-paid utilities are still uncertain.
Which of those tends to cause the larger surprise for a coastal Boston property? I’m going to request the service-charge history and a breakdown of what it covers, but I’d also like views on the net return needed to compensate for these risks.