Boston 4-bed at $600,000: how much weight should one completed comparable carry?

xavi_flint

Property manager
Established
I’ve calculated the asking figure at roughly $219 per sq ft, but the evidence behind that number is thin. The property is a 4-bed Boston flat of about 2,740 sq ft, marketed as a new build at $600,000, and I have only one recorded transaction alongside three active listings.

The light and location appeal to me, while the finishes seem dated and the financing may be costly. I’m unsure how heavily to adjust for the unusually large floor area or average condition, particularly because the broker’s yield omits several ownership costs. I’m now checking the precise neighbourhood, property rights, ongoing charges, parking and outdoor space. Which of those would you resolve before placing much weight on the completed transaction? The description of the unit as both new-build and dated also needs explaining, and I would still want a local appraisal.
 
Micro-location would change it most. “Boston” is far too broad for a per-square-foot comparison, and even nearby buildings can differ materially. I would anchor to the completed sale, then investigate why the three active listings have not sold rather than treating their asking prices as evidence of value.

Also, don’t apply one rate to all 2,740 sq ft. Extra floor area often has diminishing value, particularly if the layout wastes space.
 
I’d want clarification on “new-build” versus “dated finishes.” Is the building newly constructed, or is this an older unit being marketed as newly completed or renovated? That affects how useful a condition adjustment is.

Parking and outdoor space also need separating from the flat itself. If the completed comparable includes both and this one includes neither, a simple floor-area adjustment could be misleading.
 
I disagree that micro-location automatically comes first. A recurring service charge can alter both affordability and resale appeal, while a slightly inferior street may already be reflected in the completed comparable. The ownership structure and any lease length matter too, if applicable.

Before estimating a condition discount, list the dated items and obtain rough replacement costs. “Average condition” is too subjective to support a percentage adjustment.
 
Build a small comparison table: closed price, closing date, exact location, floor area, bed count, condition, parking, outdoor space, service charges and ownership terms. Mark unknowns rather than guessing.

Then ask the broker for the yield calculation line by line. Financing, service charges, maintenance, vacancy and other owner expenses should not disappear behind a headline yield. With only one completed comparable, I’d present a valuation range and show which assumptions move it, not force a precise figure.
 
Back
Top