The $2,042 monthly rent is the figure that made me question the deal. On a $530,000 Boston duplex, annual rent would be $24,504 and the gross return is only about 4.6% before any operating costs.
The property is described as a 2-bed and appears to be in sound condition, but I need to verify exactly how the units and rent are configured. I have allowed separately for empty periods, paid management, regular upkeep and a major-repair reserve. The result could still change materially once I confirm property tax, insurance, owner-paid utilities and typical turnover expense.
Which bill, assessment record or local quote would you check first? I’m less interested in choosing a target net yield before those figures are known than in finding the cost most likely to make the cash flow unworkable.
The property is described as a 2-bed and appears to be in sound condition, but I need to verify exactly how the units and rent are configured. I have allowed separately for empty periods, paid management, regular upkeep and a major-repair reserve. The result could still change materially once I confirm property tax, insurance, owner-paid utilities and typical turnover expense.
Which bill, assessment record or local quote would you check first? I’m less interested in choosing a target net yield before those figures are known than in finding the cost most likely to make the cash flow unworkable.