Boston first home: is $17,000 enough cash to keep after closing?

I’m considering a 2-bed coastal home around Boston for about $585,000. After the deposit and estimated closing costs, I’d have roughly $17,000 left. The monthly payment looks affordable, but ordinary first-year costs are much harder to picture.

How would you divide that buffer among emergency savings, moving, immediate repairs and furniture? I’m also allowing for inspection findings, service charges, the insurance deductible and the timing of the first mortgage payment. I’d rather buy below my maximum than have every small problem become an emergency.
 
I wouldn’t divide all $17,000 in advance. Keep the emergency portion untouched, then fund moving and only genuinely urgent inspection items. Furniture can arrive slowly; an empty room is cheaper than carrying no reserve.

Before deciding, get actual moving and insurance figures and confirm when the first mortgage payment falls. Those known amounts will show how much of the $17,000 is really flexible.
 
Is this a condo or another property with recurring service charges? That changes the picture because the monthly payment alone may not capture the regular outgoings. I’d also want to know whether the inspection identifies near-term work or merely recommends eventual maintenance. A long list can look frightening without every item being urgent.
 
Aya’s staged approach is sensible, but I would set a firmer minimum reserve before committing. With a $585,000 coastal home, the remaining $17,000 could shrink quickly if moving costs, the insurance excess and a major repair arrive together. Furniture, by contrast, can wait.

I’d price the move and urgent inspection items first, then ring-fence several months of essential spending. If that amount survives untouched, proceeding may be reasonable. If it does not, I would either reduce the purchase budget or postpone rather than rely on nothing going wrong in the first year.
 
That’s fair—I wasn’t suggesting the full $17,000 is comfortable. I’d make three lists before committing: costs due by closing or move-in, repairs required in the first few months, and everything deferrable. Put furniture almost entirely in the third list. Also ask the insurer and lender for the exact payment dates and amounts rather than estimating them, then see what reserve remains.
 
Back
Top