Boston first purchase: how should I split a $37,000 post-closing buffer?

lena.bell

First-time buyer
I’m considering an $835,000, 5-bed serviced apartment in Boston. After the deposit and estimated closing costs, I should have about $37,000 left.

I want to keep enough for an emergency fund, moving, immediate repairs, furniture, service charges, the insurance deductible and the first mortgage payment. The inspection may also uncover ordinary first-year work.

How would you divide that cash? Furniture can wait; a roof or boiler problem generally cannot. I’m willing to buy below my maximum if $37,000 is too thin.
 
As a provisional split, I’d ring-fence $18,000 as untouchable emergency savings, $10,000 for inspection-related or early repairs, $4,000 for moving, $2,000 for essential furniture and $3,000 for closing variations, service charges or the first payment. Then adjust the emergency portion to your actual monthly essential spending. Don’t commit the repair money until the inspection identifies priorities.
 
What does “serviced” include, and how much are the service charges? That could materially change the calculation. I’d also ask when charges are collected and whether any building work or additional owner contributions are being discussed. A low-maintenance unit with predictable charges is different from one where you remain responsible for expensive systems.
 
I wouldn’t allocate the full $37,000 yet. Wait for the inspection, obtain costs for any significant findings, and use those numbers in the purchase decision. For five bedrooms, furnishing can absorb cash surprisingly quickly, but only the rooms needed immediately require beds and basic window coverings. Empty rooms are not emergencies.
 
If too much of the $37,000 is labelled for repairs, an ordinary income interruption could leave you unable to cover essential bills. If too much stays untouched as an emergency reserve, inspection work that prevents water damage or further deterioration may be delayed.

Rather than using fixed amounts based on the $835,000 purchase price, calculate the living reserve from several months of mortgage payments, service charges and other essential spending. Confirm the first payment amount and date directly with the lender, then price the significant inspection findings and moving costs. Only the balance after those commitments should be treated as available for property work.
 
The $37,000 may be comfortable or tight depending on income stability and what the building covers. I’d want the emergency fund to survive alongside a repair, not be the repair fund. Keep at least the insurance deductible—sometimes called the excess elsewhere—readily available, and don’t assume every inspection issue will be covered by insurance or servicing.
 
A practical way to avoid accidental overspending is to separate the money mentally or in separate accounts: living emergency reserve, property reserve and move-in spending. For repairs, sort inspection findings into safety/water damage, deterioration that will become expensive, and cosmetic work. Only the first two categories should compete for cash during year one.
 
Inspection findings still won’t reveal everything, so I wouldn’t use a clean report as permission to spend the reserve on furniture. On the other hand, automatically walking away because $37,000 sounds small may be too conservative. The service arrangement, monthly carrying costs and condition of the expensive shared and in-unit systems matter more than the bedroom count alone.
 
One missing detail is whether the $37,000 is genuinely after every known cash requirement: final closing adjustments, insurance, moving and any service charge due around completion. If it is only “purchase price minus deposit and estimated costs,” leave a reconciliation cushion until the final figures are confirmed. That cushion should not be counted twice as emergency savings.
 
I’d make the decision in this order: confirm all cash-to-close figures and first-payment timing; obtain the service-charge details; complete the inspection; price only urgent findings; then calculate how many months of essential expenses remain untouched. If that leaves too little for moving and basic furniture, lowering the purchase budget is more sensible than planning to refill the reserve immediately after closing.
 
Back
Top