Boston valuation check: 810 sq ft coastal home asking $420,000

rowan.ives

Property investor
I can either anchor on the only completed sale or rely more heavily on three current listings, and neither approach feels comfortable. The property is a 3-bed coastal home in Boston, about 810 sq ft, in average condition and asking $420,000.

The light and location are positives, while the dated finishes need pricing properly. I would rather estimate a range for the work than apply a standard condition discount, particularly because three bedrooms in 810 sq ft may not compare well with a larger or better-planned home.

Before deciding whether the asking price is credible, I need the exact micro-location, usable outdoor space and parking details. I also need to establish the ownership structure, including any lease length or recurring service charges. Should vacancy-related carrying costs affect the valuation itself, or sit separately in my acquisition budget? A local appraisal will follow if the price looks plausible enough to continue.
 
To narrow the decision: I’m not trying to produce an exact appraisal from four properties. I’m deciding whether $420,000 is plausible enough to continue due diligence. I’m also unsure whether vacancy-related carrying costs belong in the property valuation or should remain a separate acquisition budget item.
 
With only one completed sale, I wouldn’t start with a standard percentage for either size or condition. Anchor to that sale only if its micro-location and property rights are genuinely comparable. For condition, build a low-to-high cost-to-cure estimate for the dated work, then allow separately for disruption and uncertainty. Vacancy carrying costs are generally clearer as a separate deal-cost line. The biggest missing fact for me is the exact ownership structure, including any lease length or recurring service charges.
 
Are the four comparables actually the same property type, rather than simply nearby three-bedroom homes? At 810 sq ft, layout utility matters as much as bedroom count. I’d also want parking and outdoor space recorded consistently. If those details differ, a floor-area adjustment alone could point in the wrong direction.
 
I partly disagree about holding off on area analysis. The asking price is about $519 per sq ft, which is a useful sanity check even if it shouldn’t drive the valuation. Compare that only with similarly compact homes in the same micro-location, then see whether the completed sale supports it. I’d bracket the condition adjustment using low and high repair scopes rather than applying an unsupported discount to $420,000.
 
Fair distinction: price per square foot is useful as a warning light, just not as the valuation engine. I’d make a simple grid showing sale or asking status, sale date, floor-area measurement basis, condition, property rights, recurring charges, parking and outdoor space. Keep the completed sale as the main evidence and treat the three listings as indications of seller expectations. That should reveal whether the apparent gap is really size, or an unrecorded amenity or tenure difference.
 
Before choosing any adjustment range, confirm that the 810 sq ft figure is measured on the same basis as the comparables and that each supposed bedroom offers similar practical utility. Then model three transparent cases: minimal updating, broader updating, and a higher-cost case where unknowns emerge. I would also compare $420,000 with the completed sale before and after parking, outdoor space and recurring-charge differences. If the exact micro-location or ownership terms remain unresolved, no amount of spreadsheet precision will compensate for that.
 
Back
Top