Brussels apartments: is 55 days a useful selling-time estimate?

friendly_kite

Seller
Established
I’m looking at Brussels apartments advertised between €463,700 and €695,500. My sample suggests roughly 55 days to find a buyer, with many of the longer-running outliers appearing vacant. I’m trying to decide whether to use that as a current working estimate alongside asking price per square metre. Are recent completed deals showing something similar, or are the listings still online distorting the picture? Asking data is easy to find; completed numbers are not.
 
The active listings will naturally overrepresent properties that have not sold, while quick sales disappear from view. Withdrawals create another problem because a vanished advert is not necessarily a completed deal. I’d treat 55 days as a measure of visible stock, not confirmed selling time, unless you can follow each listing from first appearance through its outcome.
 
How are you handling relisted properties and neighbourhood boundaries? A listing may look new after a price cut or a new advert, and a broad Brussels sample can mix locations that buyers do not consider interchangeable. I’d also separate renovated apartments from those needing work. Vacancy alone may be hiding a condition difference.
 
I’d push back on vacancy being the main explanation without more detail. It could instead reflect seller motivation, presentation, condition, or pricing. Financing may also affect the gap between an accepted offer and a completed sale.

For the next few weeks, keep the same cohort and note first-seen date, cuts, withdrawal date, relisting, condition and neighbourhood. Then compare new-listing volume with the number leaving the market. That will not produce completed prices, but it should reveal whether the 55-day figure is stable or mostly a stale-listing effect.
 
Back
Top